A Celebration of Volunteerism
Volunteer Arlington honors and recognizes individuals and groups who are making a difference through volunteering at its annual Arlington Cares event. The event celebrates annual award winners and people who have spent 100 hours or more volunteering for an individual organization in the previous year.
Nomination and Award Timeline
- March: Nominations open.
- May: Nomination deadline.
- Mid-May: Nominators and award winners contacted
- Mid-June: Deadline for nonprofit and Arlington County partners to submit names of volunteers who have served 100+ hours during the course of the previous year. Download submission form here.
- July: Awards presented at the virtual event, "Arlington Cares: A Celebration of Volunteerism."
Read all about the awards.
The Community Awards include the following categories:
- Lifetime of Service (This award recognizes and celebrates an individual for whom volunteerism and service to others is a part of the fabric of their being.)
- Distinguished County Service (Given to an individual or group who, through volunteerism, have shown outstanding commitment and care to the citizens of Arlington.)
- Distinguished Corporate Service (Given to a private, Arlington business or corporation, or an employee volunteer group thereof, that through volunteerism, has shown outstanding commitment and care to the citizens of Arlington.)
- Racial Equity Civic Engagement (Given to an individual or group who has shown a substantive commitment to racial equity. The award recognizes those who build on representation, and fully integrate diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging throughout their work.
- RSVP (Representing the efforts of the RSVP Northern Virginia program, which works with volunteers ages 55 and older, this individual is 55 or over and has used their skills and interests to make a valuable, lasting impact in our community.)
- Family or Group Volunteer Service (Given to a family or group who has made caring and volunteerism core values and whose work has included all ages in making a difference in Arlington.)
- Youth Volunteer Service (Given to a youth who has chosen to go above and beyond service hour requirements.)
The Volunteer Arlington Partner Award recognizes an exceptional Volunteer Coordinator, paid or unpaid, who has exceeded the organization's requirements for volunteer and civic engagement.
On Tuesday, July 12, 2022, Volunteer Arlington celebrated the 2022 Community Volunteer Award winners along with people who have spent 100 hours or more volunteering for an individual organization between July 1, 2021, and June 30, 2022.
Watch the recording of the celebration:
2022 Volunteer Award Winners
- Volunteer Arlington Award: Les Garrison, CERT
- Racial Equity Civic Engagement Award: Julius D. Spain, Sr., NAACP, Arlington Branch
- Group Service Award: John and Adrienne Scribner, Boy Scout Troop 106
- RSVP Award: Patricia Hupalo, Rebuilding Together
- Distinguished Corporate Service Award: AvalonBay Communities, Inc. with APAH
- Distinguished County Service Awards:
- Robin Norman Depaoli, National Capital Treatment and Recovery
- Arlington Neighborhood Village volunteer group
- Lifetime of Service Award: Meg Tuccillo, PathForward
2021 Arlington Cares Celebration
This free, virtual event recognized Community Service Award Winners and reminded us of the importance of serving others, especially in the midst of a pandemic. Thank you to those who joined us for a heartwarming opportunity for all ages to celebrate the overwhelming goodness that is within our community.
Watch the recording of the celebration:
2021 Volunteer Award Winners
- Volunteer Arlington Award: Arlington CERT, Kate Nadeau (Arlington Free Clinic), MRC Volunteers
- Youth Service Award: Ameerah Chaudry
- Group Service Award: Arlington Mill Food Distribution (Anabel Cruz Zelaya, Mohamed Qazi, Trang A. Phan)
- RSVP Award: Bill Marshall
- Distinguished Corporate Service Award: Accenture
- Distinguished County Service Awards: Bernard Piper, Kelly A. Thompson
- Life-time of Service Award: Mark Riley
Questions about the awards? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.