Winter 2024 Volunteer Opportunities: Empower Adult Refugees through English Education
The Washington English Center is recruiting online and in-person volunteers to teach and tutor English!
About the Washington English Center:
Since 1993, Washington English Center (WEC), a community-based program, has offered English and literacy training to low-income adult immigrants in the greater Washington area using volunteer teachers and tutors.
What our volunteers do:
Volunteers meet once a week online or in person in downtown DC for 1-3 hours a week for 11 weeks. Volunteers follow a provided syllabus and textbook and are given ongoing training. No teaching experience is required!
We also have the opportunity to substitute teach, which does not require a once-a-week 1-3 hour commitment, and provides volunteers with the flexibility to get involved at their own convenience. We are happy to work with your schedule!
- Volunteer happy hour and socials in-person and online
- Meet new friends from around the world
- Networking events
- Perfect for college students interested in joining the Peace Corps
- Make a difference in the lives of immigrants and refugees!
- Speak fluent English, non-native speakers welcome!
- Be at least 18 years old
- Complete the volunteer application
- Complete a short onboarding call with a staff member
- Complete training, use teacher materials and textbook provided
Winter 2024 ESOL group classes start January 16th and run through March 28th, 2024 however, our one-on-one tutoring sessions happen on a rolling basis and have flexible start and end dates. We accept applications throughout the year!
To learn more please visit https://www.washingtonenglish.org/volunteers/ or contact Yaritza Abrego, Associate Director of Volunteers and Partnerships at email@example.com. Looking forward to welcoming you to WEC soon!