PARTNER SPOTLIGHT: PRS
PRS, a 55-year-old, community-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit, provides mental health, crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to individuals in northern Virginia and Washington DC living with mental illness or who face life crises.
PRS serves over 1,000 clients a year who live with mental illness. PRS CrisisLink, a 24/7/365 crisis and suicide prevention hotline and textline, handles over 35,000 calls and exchanges over 40,000 text messages annually.
PRS provides a comprehensive array of services, skills training and supports. Through its continuum of care, PRS clients learn to manage their mental illnesses as well as their physical wellness, remain independent and self-sufficient in the community, become actively engaged in community activities which may include employment, volunteerism and educational pursuits, and identify resources and develop an action plan to maintain safety. With PRS supports, clients are taking critical steps to leading strong and fulfilling lives.
PRS services include: Recovery Academy Day Programs, Community Support Services, Employment Services, Community Housing, Coordinated Specialty Care Programs, and PRS CrisisLink.
PRS relies on volunteers to help us meet the ongoing needs of the community. Volunteers support PRS clients and their work in many ways.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Working with clients in Recovery Academy Day Programs;
- Tutoring the teens and young adults in the Turning Point program;
- Teaching Independent Living Skills;
- Answering calls or texts on the 24/7 suicide prevention and crisis intervention hotline or textline;
- Providing outbound calls to senior citizens in need of social and emotional support through the CareRing program;
- Administrative support;
- Committee opportunities: fundraising, finance, and event planning;
- Youth and Group volunteer opportunities.
To start making an impact in your community, check out all of PRS's volunteer opportunities to learn more about how you can get involved with PRS.
Thank you for supporting PRS's life-changing and life-saving work!
PRS Crisis Link Volunteers were the winners of the 2017 Distinguished County Service Award, presented at Arlington Cares!