Caring at the Holidays
During the months of November, December, and January, we know that many Arlingtonians are looking to serve those in need.
Volunteer Arlington wants to help you connect with the various local nonprofit and County opportunities that are available.
The information below is a good place to start! To learn more or sign up, please follow the link.
In addition, all are welcome to join us for our MLK Day of Service on Monday, January 15, 2018. Learn more and register here.
Organization: Arlington Food Assistance Center
Volunteer Opportunity: Holiday Food Drive - the best and easiest way for groups to support AFAC is by donating food. We'd love companies, schools, dance studios, churches, scout troops, neighborhoods, etc. to consider registering a food drive by going to our website at www.afac.org.
Organization: Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
Volunteer Opportunity: Volunteers needed to share information about APAH's 2017 Give from the Heart Holiday Gift Drive and to hold mini-gift drives throughout the community.
- We encourage employers, churches, scout troops, social and civic groups to host gift drives to support our program. Can you help us spread the word and encourage mini-gift drives through your networks?
Can you share the gift drive information far and wide?
- Will you consider holding a mini-gift drive of your own?
Organization: Bonder & Amanda Johnson Community Development
Volunteer Opportunity: Thanksgiving Turkey Distribution - In partnership with AFAC, BAJCDC will distribute turkeys and thansgiving items to local families in need.
Organization: Calvary Women's Services
Volunteer Opportunity: Spend a night in the building and provide safety and companionship to women at living at Calvary! As an overnight volunteer, you’ll play an important role in carrying out Calvary’s mission by spending a night in the building (a Calvary staff member will also be present) to ensure the residents have a secure night every night. This role is ideal for volunteers who can’t volunteer during business hours, but still want to fill an essential need for Calvary’s programs.
Organization: Culpepper Garden
Volunteer Opportunity: Thanksgiving Brunch - Help serve food during Thanksgiving meal to our residents.
Organization: Food for Others
1. Food for Others needs volunteers at our front desk to assist with client intake. We have two shifts each day (9:30AM to 1:00PM and 1:00PM to 5:00PM) Monday through Friday with 2 volunteers per shift.
2. Help clients select food at our warehouse. Clients may make their own their own choice of food from our pantry when they come to us with a referral for emergency food from a social service agency. We are seeking volunteers with good people skills to guide clients through the selection process.
Organization: New Hope Housing
1. Play Santa this holiday season by adopting one of New Hope Housing's single adults! New Hope Housing provides holiday gifts to each of our residents, through the generous donations from volunteers like you. Wishlists for adults will be available beginning November 9th.
2. Fill a Holiday Table - Through the help of dedicated volunteers, each Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday, New Hope Housing provides more than 200 food baskets to clients living in our community housing programs. Volunteers like you ensure that families are able to have a special and memorable holiday! Volunteers can sign up to help by doing one (or more!) of the following:
- Hosting a Thanksgiving or Christmas food drive
- Donating a food basket for a single adult or family
- Donating grocery store gift cards for our clients to purchase turkeys (grocery stores along Route One are best)
Organization: OAR of Arlington and Alexandria
Volunteer Opportunity: Project Christmas Angel is a community-wide Toy Drive to collect new, unwrapped toys and holiday gifts for children of locally incarcerated parents. We are seeking businesses, community centers, faith communities and other locations to collect toys on OAR's behalf. In addition, individulas can purchase gifts from our Amazon Wish List.
Organization: PRS, Inc.
1. Host a Holiday Party - We're looking for volunteers (ages 18 and over) to host a holiday party for the clients in PRS' Recovery Academy Day Program.
2. Holiday Wish List - Support PRS clients by donating an item(s) from our Wish List.
Organization: The Salvation Army
1. Kettle Bell Ringing - Help us celebrate Christmas with The Salvation Army's famous Red Kettles. Greet shoppers as they fill the kettles this season with their contributions to help our most needy. Kettles are located at grocery and retail stores throughout the area, and we can work with you to find the best location for you.
2. Angel Tree Volunteers - The Angel Tree program provides new gifts to children in need who may not otherwise receive anything for the holidays. This year, 14,000 children in the DC metro are being matched with donors who generously provide them with brand new clothes and toys. We need your help receiving, sorting, and distributing the donated gifts at the Alexandria Corps Angel Tree Gift Warehouse!