Caring at the Holidays
During the months of November, December, and January, we know that many Arlingtonians are looking to serve those in need.
Volunteer Arlington wants to help you connect with the various local nonprofit and County opportunities that are available.
The information below is a good place to start! To learn more or sign up, please follow the link.
In addition, all are welcome to join us for our MLK Day of Service on Monday, January 21, 2019. Learn more and register here.
Organization: Arthritis Foundation
Volunteer Opportunity: Jingle Bell Volunteer - The Jingle Bell Run 5K for Arthritis is a fun and festive way to kick off your holidays by helping others!
Organization: Arlington Food Assistance Center
Volunteer Opportunity: Holiday Food Drive - the best and easiest way for groups to support AFAC is by donating food. We'd love companies, schools, dance studios, churches, scout troops, neighborhoods, etc. to consider registering a food drive by going to our website.
Organization: Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
Volunteer Opportunity: Volunteers needed to share information about APAH's 2018 Give from the Heart Holiday Gift Drive and to hold mini-gift drives throughout the community.
- We encourage employers, churches, scout troops, social and civic groups to host gift drives to support our program. Can you help us spread the word and encourage mini-gift drives through your networks?
Can you share the gift drive information far and wide?
- Will you consider holding a mini-gift drive of your own?
Organization: Arlington County Department of Human Services
Volunteer Opportunity: Secret Santa Program - Make the holiday season a little happier for some of Arlington's most vulnerable residents by taking part in DHS's Secret Santa Program.
Organization: Doorways for Women and Families
Volunteer Opportunity: Help make the holiday season the most wonderful time of year for families at Doorways. Send hope and cheer through our Holiday Wishes program!
- Host a Gift Card Collection Drive: Collect gift cards to provide the gift of choice, special holiday meals for families and to afford Doorways greater flexibility in serving incoming clients’ needs.
- Adopt a Room: Replenish much-needed supplies at one of Doorways’ emergency shelters, the Domestic Violence Safehouse and Safe Apartments or Freddie Mac Foundation Family Home, and help provide families with a welcoming and healing environment.
- Host an Urgent Need Collection Drive: Collect our most urgent needs that help sustain our shelters and clients all year long.
Organization: The Holiday Project of the National Capital Area
Volunteer Opportunity: Join the Holiday Project of the National Capital Area as we spread holiday cheer to patients speding their holidays in hospitals, nursing homes, and long term care facilities.
Organization: OAR of Arlington and Alexandria
Volunteer Opportunity: Project Christmas Angel is a community-wide Toy Drive to collect new, unwrapped toys and holiday gifts for children of locally incarcerated parents. We are seeking businesses, community centers, faith communities and other locations to collect toys on OAR's behalf. In addition, individulas can purchase gifts from our Amazon Wish List.
Organization: PRS, Inc.
1. Host a Holiday Party - We're looking for volunteers (ages 18 and over) to host a holiday party for the clients in PRS' Recovery Academy Day Program.